Thursday, January 16, 2014

Miley
By Jessica Nastasi 
Period 2, Art 2

If you've been hidden under a rock for the past few months, and have no idea who this is supposed to be it's Miley Cyrus from her music video "Wrecking Ball." I think we can all agree that swinging on a wrecking ball naked is pretty questionable behavior. But before I did the project I hadn't really thought about how sculpting a naked girl on a wrecking ball is questionable as well. I wasn't expecting that much attention as I took it from class to class on the day I took it home, but everywhere I went people wanted to know about it.

"OMG! Is that Miley?"
Yes, yes it is.

"Why would you do such a thing?!"
I just it would kind of funny, and it fit well with the theme.

"Can I swing it?" 
Yeah, I made it so you can swing her around.

"How did you make it?"
First I made a skeleton out of wire, then built the body with polymer clay on top of it, after that I baked her, and painted her. As for the wrecking ball it was originally a wooden ornament, I spray painted it back, and stuck a chain on it. I glued Miley to the wrecking ball, then spray painted a stand thingy that I think was meant to hold jewelry, and hung the wrecking ball from it.

"What's polymer clay?"
I don't know the exact science, but it's clay that won't get hard and crusty after a few days, and can be baked in a normal oven. I used it instead of normal clay because I knew it would take me a lot of time to make, and overall I find it a lot easier to use.

"Why did you make it so small?"
I can assure you if I had enough skill, and material to make a life size Miley I would have but for now I'll have to stick to smaller scale. I think I made Miley and the wrecking ball pretty proportional though, so there's that.

It was kind of annoying to keep answering the same things over and over again, but I was really happy people to an interest in my art!

No comments:

Post a Comment