Sunday, April 19, 2015

Smartie and Dum Dum



If you showed these two pieces to a random person I don't think they would ever guess they were done by the same person. I'm so proud of how the dum dum turned out (besides the writing on it), and am so disappointed in the smartie.
I think the hardest thing about the smartie was that you couldn't do fine details easily with the chalk pastels. I've always had a pretty tough time with chalk pastels. I think chalk pastels look best when it's very smooth and soft, but my style is more rough and messy. I probably should've tried to be more soft than usual, but i was curious to see how it would work out. It didn't end up super horrible, but I think it would've improved a lot if I just gave in and drew less stylistically for once. 
I'm so happy with how the dum dum looks! I told myself when I first started working on it that I wouldn't use weird colors like I always do and I would try to make it look as real as possible. Obviously I went back on my word, but I like the transition from more realistic to less. I think it looks really nice. I love prismas so much and I'm so happy I got to work with more than just the usual 12 color set I have at home. I need to start saving up money and buy one of those giant sets because you can do so many amazing things with them. The biggest problem I had with the dum dum was the words on the wrapper. Next time I draw words I'll make sure I sketch the out beforehand! I don't know why I didn't it. I just did the outline of the wrapper and its wrinkles and thought that would be good enough, but obviously i was wrong. I still love it though and I can't wait to do more prisma drawings.

No comments:

Post a Comment