Sunday, May 31, 2015

Art 3: 4th quarter


I finished up my time project. Each square represents how I felt when I painted it. I really liked this project because it shows how much change a person can undergo in just a day. It's kind of weird for me to look at because I did it so long ago, but I can vaguely remember the way each one felt. I think visually representing your emotions in an abstract way is good for you. It's kind of therapeutic in a way, and I think it's a better way of portraying emotion. It's not just simple symbols like a smiley face for happy or a tear drop for sad, emotions are complex things and are better represented with abstract images. Reducing emotions to simple images erases the subtle differences in the happiness you felt yesterday and the happiness you feel now. You may describe yourself as happy in both situations, but you know that it's slightly different than how it felt before. Or at least it does to me. I think I wanna do another project like this again in my free time, because it helped me learn a lot about myself, but I probably won't because I'm really lazy.


This is a quick sketch I did in prisma. I was experimenting with colors and challenging poses. The upper body looks weird, but the right leg looks really good to me. 





I did a lot of bad self portraits. I got better as I kept doing them, but they never quite look like me. I guess that's something I have to keep working on. I'll probably do a lot more self portraits in the future because whenever I ask someone else to be my model they freeze up and just stare at the camera awkwardly. It's a struggle :/


When I don't feel like drawing myself and can't find a good model I find pictures of celebrities.  They usually never end up looking like who I drew so I pretend that it was just some person I made up in my head :) This one kind of looks like who I was drawing though, and it's Twiggy. I didn't finish it , but I will eventually. I did it with oil pastels, which I discovered that I love this semester. I use to stay away from them, but they're actually really fun!




These are some of my prints. I really hated them when I made them, but they're not that bad. I'm sure I could've done a better job, but I still think they look kind of cool (even if you can barely tell they're hands).



Then out of frustration I made these ugly eye prints. I wanted them to look creepy, like a bunch of eyes were staying at you but they just look kind of stupid. I'm really sorry that I wasted that rubber stuff on this trash.



This is my still life. My original plan was to paint the class in front of me, but I realized that would be too challenging because people move around too much. I settled on doing those fake flowers that just sit in the room. I decided to make it as colorful and weird as I could, but I think it ended up way too busy. I still really like the background and basket, but I could probably redo the flowers. It looks a lot better in the photo, but in real life it's a mess.


No comments:

Post a Comment